Hey guys! The holidays are quickly approaching, which means lots of family, fun, and of course food! I come from a pretty big family so cooking for the holidays can be a pretty tedious task. Between holiday meal planning, shopping and getting our home ready for guests, I’m always looking for cooking shortcuts that don’t compromise the taste. I love homemade cornbread for the holidays, but when I’m pressed for time, I turn to Fleischmann’s Simply Homemade Cornbread Mix! It’s made with the same real simple ingredients you would find in your pantry, and contains no artificial flavors, colors or preservatives so I feel good about feeding it to the girls too. Simply Homemade Cornbread Mix delivers delicious, scratch-made taste in a fraction of the time.
This recipe is so flavorful and the best part is, no one can tell that it came from a box! For this recipe I’m going to kick up the cornbread mix with a few flavorful and delicious ingredients to create my “Sweet Potato Cornbread.” And to elevate it even further, I’m going to add dried cranberries and chopped pecans for a delicious and unexpected crust.
I love to pair this with my spice rubbed chicken from my book, “The Seasoned Life” and it is the perfect side to complement your upcoming Thanksgiving dinner. Simply Homemade baking mixes are so delicious and handy to have in your pantry. Don’t miss out on this simply mouthwatering product for your next meal!
Sweet Potato Cornbread With Pecan and Cranberry Crust
- 1 box Simply Homemade Cornbread
- 2/3 cup Buttermilk
- 1/3 cup of butter or margarine, melted
- 1 egg
- 1 cup mashed fresh sweet potato or canned
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans or pistachios
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Add first four ingredients in bowl and mix well.
- Gently fold in sweet potato and mix until well incorporated.
- Set aside bowl.
- In another small bowl add nuts, sugar, and cranberries and mix well.
- Heat a cast iron skillet at medium high heat.
- And add in 4 tablespoons of butter. Once melted remove from heat.
- Add in your nut mixture and coat with butter. Spreading it evenly over the bottom
- Pour the cornbread mix over the mixture. Make sure to smooth it out over the whole bottom of the pan.
- Place the cast iron skillet into the oven for 25-30 minutes. Or until lightly browned at the top.
- Once done remove from the oven and allow to cool.